loader image
Skip links

What Does Cocoa Percentage Actually Mean?

You might understand that a high cocoa percentage makes dark chocolate and a low percentage means it’s milk chocolate. However, you might not know the specific details behind what each cocoa percentage really represents. 

In this blog, we will break down what that number really tells you.

What is Cocoa Percentage?

When it comes to cocoa percentage, there’s no one-size-fits-all. Different stores might sell chocolate with 85% cocoa, while others have 70%. Don’t get confused by all these numbers. The cocoa percentage simply shows how much cocoa the chocolate maker used in their bar.

A basic dark chocolate bar has only a few ingredients: cocoa solids, cocoa butter, sugar, and a binding agent. The cocoa percentage is important because it tells you how much cocoa flavor is in the bar – the higher the percentage, the stronger the cocoa taste.

When you see a dark chocolate bar like our Le chocolat des Iles with a 70% cocoa content, it means that 70% of the chocolate comes from things found in the cocoa bean. The other 30% is cane sugar, without any additives or ingredients.

How Much Cocoa is Best?

Dark chocolate should have a lot of cocoa for that deep flavor, but the percentage you pick depends on what you like. We suggest going for at least 70% cocoa solids in your dark chocolate. This way, you get to savor all the different cocoa bean flavors. 

Cocoa Percentage and Flavor

In general, the higher the cocoa percentage in dark chocolate, the richer and less sweet it becomes. Cocoa is naturally a bit bitter, so when there’s more cocoa, the chocolate tastes like a complex experience rather than a sweet treat.

However, our dark chocolate, even though it boasts a 70% cocoa content, surprises you with a delightful sweetness rather than any bitterness. It’s the best of both worlds for those who crave a balanced and delicious chocolate experience.

Is a High Cocoa Percentage a Healthier Option?

Generally speaking, high cocoa content in chocolate means less sugar, and that’s good for your health. Other health benefits come from the stuff inside cocoa. It has fiber and iron, as well as minerals like magnesium and copper. Cocoa is also packed with antioxidants, flavanols, and polyphenols. 

Some studies even say that eating good-quality dark chocolate with a lot of cocoa can make your blood flow better and lower your blood pressure.

This website uses cookies to improve your web experience.